Friday and Saturday nights, San Francisco will be overrun with good gothic gals and guys, mixing and mingling with steampunk Victorian and Edwardians for the annual Edwardian Ball. Paradox Media and Vau de Vire present the 14th annual award-winning, absinth-swilling, steampunk-powered, world faire, circus ballroom dance event known as the Edwardian Ball, dedicated to American illustrator Edward Gorey and not some boring English king.
This year’s celebration is dedicated to the sofa. Not the comfy kind that Martha Stewart would advise you to snuggle into. No “The Curious Sofa” which isn’t as easy to kill as a cat. All of this takes place at The Regency Ballroom.
Both nights in San Francisco attendees can visit the widely acclaimed “Museum of Wonders – an Edwardian Odditorium” located in the opulent Regency Lodge (see a panoramic view at http://bit.ly/360lodge). Be transported in a nostalgic turn-of-the-century elevator with costumed operator and enter an entire floor dedicated to natural wonders, unusual and peculiar artifacts, a living human statue garden, fortune tellers and sideshows, along with haunted mysteries and curiosities. These are all to be discovered through self-guided tours from 8-11pm, while being serenaded by a haunting soundtrack from an authentic 1900’s pipe organ. Guests can also enjoy a special cocktail concoction from the St. George Spirits Absinth Bar.
In San Francisco at the extensive Vendor Bazaar located on the lower level each night ($5 on Saturday from noon to 5 p.m.) attendees can browse and/or purchase authentic fashion, costumes, accessories, jewelry and plenty of relevant, rare oddities. The Vendor Bazaar will also feature fashion shows, strolling performers and a hosted Edwardian Gaming Parlour.
Been there before? Don’t take a been-there-done-that attitude. Obviously some people will be out in different attire to inspire your fashionista gothica. And there are some new acts and actors.
New musical acts:
- Major Powers & The Lo-Fi Symphony http://edwardianball.com/artists/#majorpowers
- Beso Negro http://edwardianball.com/artists/#beso
- Unwoman http://edwardianball.com/artists/#unwoman
- John Brothers Piano Company (full band!) http://edwardianball.com/artists/#johnbros
- Jill Tracy’s Parlour of Spirits in our Museum of Wonders http://edwardianball.com/artists/#jilltracy
- The Grand Artique Trading Post http://edwardianball.com/artists/#artique
- Steam-powered, mechanical “Curious” Sofas by Kinetic Steam Works http://edwardianball.com/that-naughty-kinetic-steam-works/
- Live portrait drawings by Ben Walker http://edwardianball.com/artists/#benwalker
- 3-D Figure Modeling (see yourself printed into an Edwardian Doll on-site!)
- Bicycle-powered Zoetropes by Cyclecide (pedal-powered, mechanical animations)
Should you be unfamiliar with “The Curious Sofa” here’s a narrated video.
For tickets and more information visit the Edwardian Ball website.