We don’t have snow, but we do know how to party with theatricality. Here’s some great New Year’s parties that spill into January and early March.
SAN FRANCISCO NEW BOHEMIA FOR STEAMPUNK PARTY
You can fly or drive up to San Francisco for New Bohemia New Year’s Eve Party with the fiendishly fun Vau de Vire, Opel and Kink from 8 p.m. 31 December 2014 to 4 a.m. on 1 January 2015 at The Armory.
They just added two beloved Burning Man installations, Hookahdome (hookahdome.com) and Teapots (see photo below). Plus, the award winning ‘Best of the Bay’ Tourettes Without Regrets showcase, described as a high octane display of beat-boxers, comedians, burlesque, circus performers, slam poets, battle rappers and audience interactive contests in a rapid fire exhibition of wacky old school vaudeville meeting the hybrid of hard edged hip hop and cutting edge performance.
Visit website for more information, photos, tickets and list of entertainment each night: newbohemianye.com.
BLITHE NEW YEAR’S EVE WITH OSCAR/TONY WINNER
You can stay in the city and get a little ghostly with a performance of “Blithe Spirit,” featuring Angela Lansbury at the beginning of the evening. Following the internationally acclaimed production with sold-out engagements on Broadway and in London’s West End, television legend, Oscar recipient and five-time Tony
Award®-winner Angela Lansbury returns to the stage in Noël Coward’s smash-hit comedic play “Blithe Spirit” in an exciting North American tour to be launched at Center Theatre Group’s Ahmanson Theatre. Performances for “Blithe Spirit” at the Ahmanson began Tuesday, December 9, 2014, and run through Sunday, January 18, 2015.
Returning to the role of Madame Arcati, for which she won her fifth Tony Award® in 2009 for Best Featured Actress in a Play, Angela Lansbury (the popular TV show “Murder, She Wrote,” the memorable stage productions of “Sweeney Todd” and “Mame,” the classic film “Gaslight”) will be joined by an all-star cast including Charles Edwards as Charles Condomine (“Downton Abbey,” “The 39 Steps,” “Blithe Spirit” – 2014 West End revival), Jemima Rooper as Elvira (“The Black Dahlia;” “One Man, Two Guvnors”; “Blithe Spirit” –2014 West End revival), Charlotte Parry as Ruth Condomine (“Coram Boy,” “The Importance
of Being Earnest”) Simon Jones as Dr Bradman (“Hitchhiker’s Guide,” “The Real Thing,” “Blithe Spirit” – 2009 Broadway revival/2014 West End revival) Susan Louise O’Connor as Edith (“What to Do When You Hate All Your Friends,” “Blithe Spirit” – 2009 Broadway revival) and Sandra Shipley as Mrs. Bradman (“Anything Goes,” “Blithe Spirit” – 2009 Broadway revival).
The play is directed by two-time Tony Award-winner Michael Blakemore (“Kiss Me, Kate,” “Copenhagen”).
Regular Performances (December 16 – January 18): Tuesday through Friday at 8 p.m.; Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m.; Sunday at 1 and 6:30 p.m.
Exceptions: Added 8 p.m. performance on Mondays, December 22 and 29;
Added 2 p.m. performance on Tuesday December 23; No performance on
Wednesday, December 24, Thursday, December 25 and Thursday, January 1.
For more information about the “Blithe Spirit” tour, please visit
End the evening with the free Grand Park New Year’s Eve LA. The party starts at 7 p.m. and goes until 12:30 p.m. at Grand Park, 210 North Grand Ave., Los Angeles.
CITY HALL: Experience a new, spectacular interactive countdown to remember, featuring 3-D digital video mapping on (not one, but) TWO sides of City Hall!
3 MUSIC STAGES: Experience LA’s best artists, including Mr Little Jeans, Made In Heights, Breakestra, Dorothy, Ceci Bastida, Run River North, Garth Trinidad, Aaron Byrd, Omid Walizadeh, Chris Douridas (KCRW – school night!) y más!
SCHEDULE FOR THE PERFORMANCES: For full event schedule click here.
Countdown Stage (Grand Park’s Event Lawn in front of City Hall)
7:00PM – Mario Hernandez, MC
7:30 – 8:30PM Mr Little Jeans
9:30 -10:30PM Made in Heights
11:50PM – ALL EYES ON CITY HALL
12:05-12:30AM – Breakestra
Get Down Stage (Grand Park’s Performance Lawn between Grand Avenue and Hill Street)
7:00 – 8:30PM – Chris Douridas, DJ and MC
8:30-10:30PM – Aaron Byrd
10:30 – 11:40PM – Garth Trinidad
11:50PM – ALL EYES ON CITY HALL
12:05-12:30AM – Garth Trinidad
Low Down Stage (1st Street between Olive and Hill Streets)
7:00PM – Stephanie Garcia, MC
7:00 – 8:00PM – Omid Walizadeh
8:00 – 9:00PM – Run River North
9:00 – 9:30PM – Omid Walizadeh
9:30 – 10:30PM – Ceci Bastida
10:30 – 11:05PM – Omid Walizadeh
11:05 – 11:40PM – Dorothy
11:50 – ALL EYES ON CITY HALL
12:05-12:30AM – Dorothy
PHOTO BOOTH: Snap the final photos of 2014 at a Grand Park photo booth! (provided with support from LA2050)
FOOD: 30 food vendors cranking it out, enjoy free samples of NESTLÉ® ABUELITA™ Hot Chocolate.
HOOCH: This will be an alcohol-free, family-friendly event: no beer garden or point of purchase / no outside alcohol permitted in event space.
STREET CLOSURES: Grand Park is working with all relevant agencies to ensure street closures be as minimal as possible. Please see MAP for event closure schedule.
BIKE VALET: Will be available (for free!) at Hill and Second St.
GETTING THROUGH BAG CHECK: All bags will be checked upon entry to event space, please do not bring the following items to this event: Bags and Backpacks Measuring Larger Than Standard Backpack Size (16.75 inches x 13 inches x 8.5 inches) / Chairs / Outside Alcoholic Beverages / Sealed or Open Beverage Bottles Including Water (fountains and water for purchase will be available) / Narcotics / Coolers / Tents / Firecrackers / Explosives / Sparklers / Firearms / Weapons / Frowny Faces
For more information, visit GrandParkLA.org.
FIREWORKS, FOOD and FAUX FOREIGN COUNTRIES with a Queen
Celebrate the launch of 2015 under a fireworks-filled sky on the legendary decks of the Queen Mary. Toast the New Year in style and enjoy an unforgettable evening of great food, drinks and live entertainment. New Year’s Eve aboard the Queen Mary is a sell-out party every year.
Whether you want to dance the night away, or simply enjoy the music, there’s no shortage of entertainment aboard the Queen Mary.
This year, we celebrate Auld Lang SHINE!
The 21+ all-night bash highlights seven destinations from the Queen Mary’s Mediterranean Cruise of 1966 through music, culture, food and entertainment. A global party made unforgettable by renowned headliners The Gypsy All Stars featuring Gypsy Kings Alumni, DJ Dennis Owens, DJ Groovy Lu and more. New Year’s Eve aboard the Queen Mary will be a brilliant welcome to 2015.
Italy, France, Spain, Greece, Morocco, Egypt and the USA will transform three and a half acres of the ship’s deck and salon space into an international celebration of festivities. Revelers can party from country to country, reminiscent of the Scottish tradition to celebrate from house to house. Destinations include:
- Cannes, France: A plum-hued Royal Casino (8PM – 11:30PM Black Jack, Craps & Roulette) and French Cabaret vibrates with French Can-Can, Champagne Shows, Moulin Rogue Cabaret by Bling Divas Entertainment (9PM, 9:30PM, 10PM, 10:30PM, 11PM). Cabaret Couches available – see upgrades below.
- Cartagena, Spain: The Queen’s Salon turned exotic Spanish Flamenco Lounge with tapas and flowing sangria served from the Matador Bar to the sounds of The Gypsy All Stars (8:30PM, 9:45PM, 11:05PM & 12AM balloon drop) and a famed Flamenco Dou 8:05PM, 9:20PM, 10:40PM). Flamenco lounges available – see upgrades below.
- Mykonos, Greece: Its dynamic club scene now lights up the Sports Deck with an LED dance floor adjacent to the Arena Bar surrounded by Greco ruins and busts of Grecian gods. The island nightlife is complete with a surprise Guest DJ spinning Electronic Dance Music (EDM) from 8PM-1AM. Dionysis Dens and Omega Ottomans available – see upgrades below.
- Alexandria, Egypt VIP ONLY: Guests can channel their inner Cleopatra amidst golden pyramids, belly dancers (8:35PM, 9:35PM, 10:35PM, 11:35PM & 12:15AM) and snake charmers in the ship’s Britannia Salon where DJ Groovy Lu spins Top 40’s Hip Hop (8PM-1AM) across from the Pharaoh Bar. Cleopatra’s Cabanas available – see upgrades below.
- Tangier, Morocco VIP ONLY: Vibrant energy is brought to life in a colorful Moroccan pavilion that hosts The Dancing Fire Belly Harem (9:05PM, 10:05PM, 11:05PM), the Pyramid Hookah Lounge ($25) from 8APM – 1AM, henna art, and the Elephant Bar. Tangier tables available – see upgrades below.
- Portofino, Italy: Romantics can indulge in the country’s love of food and song with singing gondoliers at the Grand Salon’s Italian buffet and Gondola Bar. Enjoy Goldolier Serenades at 8PM, 8:30PM, 9PM, 9:30PM, 10PM & 10:30PM.
- New York, USA: Party-goers can bring it back home sipping on a Manhattan at the Broadway Bar featuring Grand Dueling Pianos (8PM, 9:15PM, 10:30PM) in Verandah Grill. The Central Park-themed Sundeck is a magical place for another New Year’s tradition – a Rockette-style (8:30PM & 12AM) countdown that culminates in a spectacular midnight fireworks show. Queen Mary favorite DJ Dennis Owens will spin Top-40 hits from 8PM – 1AM. Broadway Booths available – see upgrades below.
Please note: Guests must be at least 21 years old. New Year’s Eve starts at 8PM and lasts until 2AM Self-Parking $20.
General Admission “Cabin Class” Boarding Pass – $99
(All ticketed guests must be at least 21 years old).
The General Admission “Cabin Class Boarding Pass” includes admission to the ship with access to the “Cabin Class” decks, salons, and bars featuring live bands, strolling entertainers, and DJ’s and view of the midnight fireworks!
VIP “First Class” Boarding Pass – $199
(All ticketed guests must be at least 21 years old).
The VIP “1st Class Boarding Pass” includes VIP admission to the ship with exclusive access to the “1st Class” & “Cabin Class” decks, salons, and bars featuring live bands, strolling entertainers, and DJ’s PLUS 3 complimentary cocktails, party favors and premiere view of the midnight fireworks! $199
Parking – General Parking is $20. Preferred Parking is $30. Note: Parking rates apply to all visitors after 4 p.m. For more information visit the Queen Mary website.
OC KINKY (BOOTS) NEW YEAR’S EVE
For $225 per person (tax and gratuity included and alcohol excluded), you can have valet parking at Scott’s Restaurant and bar for the entire evening, a three-course supper created by chef Michael Doctulero, an orchestra terrace ticket to the Segerstrom Center for the Arts production of “Kinky Boots,” complimentary re-entry to Scott’s for a New Year’s Eve festivities post-show.
Seating starts at 4:30 p.m. Curtain call is at 7:30 p.m. Midnight festivities begin at 10 p.m.
“Kinky Boots” was the winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Musical. Audiences attending “Kinky Boots” at Segerstrom Center for the Arts will enjoy free lobby activities starting one hour prior to show time and during intermission for all performances.
• A special 24-foot fashion runway for video and photo opportunitieson the Orchestra Terrace Level lobby. Patrons will be able to strut their own fancy footwear to hit songs from the ‘80s.
• A photo opportunity on the Loge Level lobby with a two-dimensional cutout of the famous red boots.
• Boot bedazzling on the Orchestra Level lobby. Patrons and designer-wannabes can add their personal ‘look’ to a high-heeled boot illustration using an assortment of supplies provided by the Center.
Guests are asked to use #SCFTA and #KinkyBootsTour on social media sites.
For more information, visit Scott’s Restaurant and Bar’s website or call (714) 979-2400.
POLAR BEAR PARTY DOWNTOWN LA
On 1 January 2015, there’s a “Take the Plunge” party at the Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square for a Polar Bear Skate.
A new holiday tradition that’s so LA. Celebrate the popular frozen New Year’s Day Canadian tradition with a twist. Grab your sunglasses and swim suit to “take the plunge” with a skate around the rink. Skaters of all ages are invited to dress in beach attire for an invigorating welcome to 2015. The first 30 participants will receive a plush polar bear hat. Prizes are awarded for best costume and most creative.
New Year’s Day : Thursday, January 1 from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square, 532 South Olive Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
EDWARDIAN BALL: WHERE GOTH MEETS GOREY
The Edwardian Ball® is an elegant, whimsical, spectacle of a madhouse slapdashery of costumery and cocktails, circus and storytelling, ribald music, and daring exhibitions that promises to entice and enchant – a feast for the senses with the style and panache of the turn of the 19th century.
People fly from around the world to partake in this one-of-a-kind event – the last three years the Ball in SF sold out. The co-hosts Justin Katz (Rosin Coven) and Mike Gaines (Vau de Vire Society) will present Gorey’s ‘The Beastly Baby’ which is described as, “A calmly horrific tale about almost unpleasant infant everyone is trying to get rid of…” with original music, theatrics and aerial acts.
MY GOREY VALENTINE LA
The Edwardian Ball also comes to Hollywood for a special Feb 14th celebration, “My Gorey Valentine!” taking place at The Fonda Theatre LA with local performers, The Gentlemen Callers of Los Angeles.